Where to get Materials and Textures [List]

Here is a list of material and texture sources I have compiled, feel free to add, remove or correct on it.

Material & Texture sources

• www.sharetextures.com

900+ CC0 PBR materials, some are also available in Substance Designer (SBSAR) format

• Julio Sillet on Gumroad

Julio Sillet makes wonderful, and sometimes obscure materials and he has a lot of free asset packs on gumroad. generally CC-BY I think.

• AmbientCG.com

Formerly known as cc0textures.com. Lots of generated and image based PBR’s by Lennart Demes. All CC0.
    Also check related site PBR.ONE if you are an aspiring material creator.

• cgbookcase.com

Good source of CC0 PBR materials By Dorian Zgraggen.
    I made material entities out of bunch of them so you can use them directly in Vircadia, just drag the json file onto the interface window to create a material entity available here

• 3dtextures.me

Big collection of PBR materials, SBS/SBSAR files only for patreons

• opengameart.org

Wonderful old-school collection of game assets of all types, mostly pixel art and isometric style assets but there are some nice textures in there, also a good source of low poly models. Check licensing for each asset.

• publicdomaintextures.com

Don’t know a lot about it but has some nice CC0 materials.

• deviantart.com

Has art and images of just about anything, but not really aimed at texturing.
    Note: may contain non-pow(2) aspect ratio images and other lewd stuff :smiley:

• ihdri.com

HDR skyboxes up to 16x8K, says it’s free for private and commercial use but states no specific license.

• space3D

Online space skybox generator

• polyhaven.com

The new home of HDRI haven and Textures Haven so is has PBR materials and HDRI’s, and some models too. I have not really used it yet but it looks nice.

• blenderkit.com

Find materials, HDR’s, Models and more directly in blender, free and paid plans available.

• pixel-furnace.com

More materials, a royalty-free kind of license.

• kenney.nl

Pixel art and low poly assets en masse! I think all of it is CC0.
    Also check out kenshape for a novel approach to low poly modeling.

Image and texturing Tools.

• NormalMap-Online/TextureGenerator-Online

As it says on the box: online tools for generating normal maps and textures.

• Agisoft Texture De-Lighter

Free tool to remove shadows from images, useful if you want to make your own materials.

• remove.bg

online tool to remove the background from images

• Krita

Open source painting program, must have if you own a drawing tablet.

• Gimp

Open source image editor.

• Substance Player

Free tool from Adobe that lets you open Substance designer/Painter files, you can adjust the material properties and then export the texture maps for use in blender or in material entities.
    Some of the sites listed above also offers substance files so if you like a material, but maybe the color is a bit off, you can download the SBSAR file and tweak it in Substance Player.

• Substance 3D Blender plugin

Official plugin that lets you use (and tweak) Substance materials directly in blender.
    Note: this is very new and currently in public beta so I won’t really recommend it yet unless you are feeling adventurous.

• Quixel mixer

Free 3D texturing tool, alternative to Substance painter/creator. Comes with a ton of “smart materials”, if you have the disc space to install them :smiley:

• Agama Materials

New substance painter like 3D texturing tool. Looks promising and it’s free while in beta, but that may change once it releases

About Normal maps.

Normal maps comes in two different flavours, DirectX and OpenGL, most of the materials you get from the sites listed above uses the DirectX format but Vircadia uses the OpenGL format, it will still work and often it makes little difference but sometimes, on materials like tiles or brick wall it looks really bad, bumps look like dips and vice versa.
The solution is to convert it, which is simply done by inverting the green channel of the normal map, you can do this in several different ways:

• Use your image editor of choice, In GIMP you click on on the red and blue channels to deselect them and then click Colours->Invert
  • You can do it in blender with a node setup like this, but you have to bake out a new texture since the the node setup does not apply on exported files.
  • ImageMagick can do all sorts of automated batch conversion. I made this batch file that, if you drag an image file onto it it, will generate a copy with the green channel inverted and “_GL” appended to the file name (in the same folder as the original and you need to have imagemagick intalled).

About Licensing and creator support.

Most of the materials listed here are CC0 so you can use them however you like but some require attribution, always check before using.
Generally I would advice crediting the original creator no matter the license, but it can be difficult in a dynamic environment like this, a link in the description field of an entity may be enough but I really don’t know.
If you find an asset creator in the list above that you fancy, please consider supporting them directly, You may get some additional benefits like direct file access or excusive access to new stuff, but more importantly, you help maintain an ecosystem where creators can make their stuff freely available to everyone, and still get paid for their efforts, and trust me, you will want this to work out, otherwise the metaverse (outside of the paywall) will all be a dull gray colorless blob of despair :smiley:

3 Likes