Website Hosting Comparison

I performed a hosting comparison to get an understanding of the landscape and how much it will cost.
My preference was to choose an option with 1 to 8 GB of RAM, 1 to 4 CPUs and 50 to 150 GB of disk space. It was not quite that easy to get each of those numbers, especially with Jelastic which really seems to be a containerized hosting paradigm.

My experience is mostly with AWS and these numbers seem to be pretty much in line with what I have experienced. In the end Linode seems to be the most cost effective and powerful solution for me.

These number will change over time and the competition is pretty cut throat in this sector so don’t take this as advice but an opportunity for you research, compare and make your own decision. I have seen charts in Discord yet this will be easier for people to find.

Click on the bottom of the pic to see it in full resolution… It’s a bit hard to read. Please post any thought for improving cost/performance.

For a comparison of DigitalOcean vs Linode you might want to take a look at this blog write-up. It seems this individual is pushing DigitalOcean pretty hard as there are links all over the page pointing you to sign up with them. However, he raises some good points to consider…

A more balanced review of DigitalOcean vs Linode:

One of the biggest pluses for me is Linode’s ability to scale vertically…

I’m using Hetzner servers for years now, and also my Virvadia test system is running on a Hetzner cloud instance. Hetzner offers scalable cloud systems for very attractive prices, e.g. the CPX 31 with 4 vCPU, 8 GB RAM, 160 GB disk space and 20 TB (!) traffic for around 17 USD per month (Truly thrifty cloud hosting - Hetzner Online GmbH).

1 Like

What are you basing the minimum Azure pricing on? It says minimum price is $100 a month, which I assume is with the lowest specs mentioned. I run MaddersPlace on azure 2vcpu 4GB RAM and it costs me about $35 a month. Not the cheapest option, but luckily doesn’t actually end up costing me anything as I have monthly Azure credit to use up :smiley:

1 Like

That’s what I get for using Linode’s cost calculator… I think that’s including pretty high traffic 1TB which is way over blown for a startup. That’s good input… experience always wins over hype.

Ah that makes more sense if it’s calculating a worst case based on specific usages. The bandwidth is charged based on what you use, and I’ve never been anywhere near 1TB on my usage so far. I’ll keep an eye on that should MaddersPlace ever become popular :smiley:

1 Like