How to debug entity server script

I found that I can use print to debug an entity script that is not attached to an entity but I haven’t found an example of how to debug a script that is attached to an entity.

I am trying to create a tablet app and want to log some messages but haven’t figured out how.

I found the Running scripts window to be very helpful and while I do see example debugging scripts, I still haven’t figured it out.

I’ve tried using the code contained in the scripts/developer/debugging examples that use sendToLogWindow and debugWindow.qml but am not seeing my output.

I’ve also tried reloading content and reloading all scripts.

You’re trying to log output from a server entity script (i.e., one configured in the domain server’s settings page)?

Assuming so, in Interface…

• Settings > Developer Menu to enable the Developer menu.
  • Developer > Scripting > Entity Script Server Log to open a window that shows log output from server entity scripts.

Also…

• Developer > Scripting > Script Log (HMD Friendly) to open a window that shows log output from Interface, avatar, and client entity scripts (i.e., scripts running in your Interface).
1 Like

Well maybe I used the wrong term. In the interface when go the the properties of an entity you are given the option to load Script or a Server Script. The server script is the one I am try to log output from.

I have enabled Developer Menu and am not seeing anything in the entity script server log except.

Do I use the print(“XYZ”) command to log or do I need use some other method?

Is there are proper way to debug a tablet app? I’m following the boombox tutorial which I haven’t been able to get working yet but am getting closer :slight_smile:

The “Server Script” field in the entity properties is for a an entity server script - a.k.a. server entity script in the following doc: Server Entity Scripts — Vircadia Documentation

To see output from your script you should be able to use use either
print("xyz");
or
console.log("xyz");

Depending on what domain you’re on you may very well see output from other entity server scripts running on the domain.

1 Like